Shenandoah Valley Leadership Pinnacle, registration is open
Hosted by Senator Mark Warner
Holiday Inn Golf & Conference Center, Staunton
1 - 5 pm, reception to follow
INNOVATION | COLLABORATION | ENTREPRENEURSHIP
Representing the pinnacle of success, the Shenandoah Valley has long enjoyed a healthy and vibrant economy.
You're invited to join Valley leaders to explore areas of opportunity for the Shenandoah Valley that incorporate innovation, collaboration and entrepreneurship.
- Keynote remarks by Senator Mark R. Warner
- Regional Industry Leadership Panel Discussion facilitated by Martin Briley, President of the Virginia Economic Development Partnership.
- Regional Education Leadership Panel Discussion facilitated by Dr. John Downey, President of Blue Ridge Community College.
March 12th Open Source Staunton Meetup at LightCastle
21 Middlebrook Ave., Staunton, 6 PM
Automation, Transparency, and Other Coolness with Hubot
Owen Zanzal shares his experience in setting up Hubot to automate deployments, system administration tasks, and facilitate transparency.
Hubot ("A CUSTOMIZABLE, KEGERATOR-POWERED LIFE EMBETTERMENT ROBOT")
Food and drinks provided: Pizza from Byers Street Bistro and delectable brewed beverages from Shenandoah Valley Brewing Company.
Sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/Open-Source-Staunton/events/168020432/
Advanced SBIR/STTR Workshop
March 13, 2014; 8 am - 5 pm; Herndon, VA
This advanced SBIR / STTR (Small Business Innovation Research / and Small Business Technology Transfer) workshop presents strategic advice to current and prospective phase I SBIR/STTR award recipients to better position themselves
for successful Phase II and Phase III opportunities. Hear from industry experts, learn about the new rules in SBIR/STTR, develop strategies to secure sole source contracts, insights into effective collaboration partnerships, learn about the special programs
available to Phase I and Phase II SBIR/STTR firms, and more. Space is limited.
- 8:00AM - 8:30AM - Check-in with Bagels & Coffee
- 8:30AM - Welcome and Introductions Robert Brooke, Dir. Federal Funding Program, CIT
- 8:40AM - 11:00AM - Managing your Phase Strategically for Follow On Funding
- Presented by: John Davis, SBIR Resource Center
- Follow-on Opportunities for SBIR/STTR Awards
- Managing Projects to Improve Your Follow-On Chances
- Effective Federal Cost Proposal Development - Necessary for Phase II and Phase III
- Technology Commercialization Challenges in the Federal Marketplace
- The SBIR/STTR Sole Source Advantage - Leveraging your SBIR/STTR to secure large federal awards
- 11:00AM - 12:30PM - SBIR Program Managers "Phase II & III Planning" Panel 1
- Hear from SBIR program managers of several "User Agencies". Learn what strategies work, what assistance programs are available, and keys to writing effective Phase II proposals in today's competitive landscape.
- John Williams, Navy SBIR/STTR Program Director (Confirmed
- Chris Rinaldi, Dept. of Defense (Confirmed)
- Cynthia Firman, NASA SBIR/STTR Program, (Confirmed)
- Carl Hebron, Dept. of Energy SBIR Program, (Confirmed)
- 12:30PM - 1:15 PM - Networking LUNCH (provided)
- 1:15PM - 2:15 PM - SBIR SBIR Program Managers "Phase II & III Planning" Panel 2
- Frank Barros, Homeland Security (Confirmed)
- Ed Metz, Dept. of Education (Confirmed)
- Steven Konsek, National Science Foundation (Confirmed)
- Lenka Fedorkova, National Institutes of Health (Confirmed)
- 2:15PM - 3:15 PM - Securing Collaboration Partners - how to, what you need, and why so imperative.
- Presented by John Davis, SBIR Resource Center and Dave Metzger, Arnold and Porter
- 3:30PM - 4:15PM - The All Important Patent Decision - Should I or Shouldn't I?
- An examination of basic decision processes for SBIR / STTR projects related to the patent process. What is allowable and not allowable in the patent process for your SBIR/STTR? How should you proceed? How do new
laws impact your decisions? Presented by Dave Metzger, Arnold and Porter
- 4:15PM - 5:00PM - Implications of The New
SBIR/STTR Rules - A look at the new rules from a legal perspective and a business perspective. What are the new rules, what they mean, and how to use them to your advantage. Presented by Dave Metzger, Arnold & Porter and John Davis, SBIR
Center for Innovative Technology, 2214 Rock Hill Rd., Herndon, VA 20170
See more at:
Member News: RESCHEDULED Greater Augusta Regional Chamber of Commerce's 2014 "Rockin" Business & Technology Showcase
March 4, 3 PM-7 PM; Best Western Waynesboro
Due to weather concerns GARCC's Business and Technology Showcase has been rescheduled from Feb. 13 to March 4, 2014. "Rockin" Business & Technology Showcase will feature a vendor showcase, speed networking, and Business After Hours reception. Use the link
below for more information and to see vendor or sponsorship opportunities.
More information here
Back to top
Modeling & Simulation Entrepreneurship Competition Begins March 1
Cash prize, industry exposure,expert feedback
MODSIM World Conference 2014
- Are you an entrepreneur using Modeling or
Simulation tools to solve problems in Manufacturing, Energy, Finance, Transportation, Retail, Serious Gaming, or other industry?
- Does your new approach create opportunities for non-experts to use ModSim tools to solve new and important problems?
- Would you like to help the world see how ModSim makes a difference in unexpected places?
We're looking for individuals, small teams, and existing small businesses who believe their new product or service has the potential to grow to significant size and value! Teams may include a large business in a form of a mentor, where cash winnings will go
to the individual/small business.To enter submit a
short pitch of your idea here
The competition will begin on March 1, 2014 and will consist of two phases. The first round of the competition will be held online via
MODSIM World Conference website
. Public will be asked to vote on their favorite ideas. The finalists with the most votes will be invited to participate in the finals at MODSIM World Conference on April 16th, 2014 and pitch their idea live to a panel of
distinguished subject matter experts for a chance to win a cash prize.
Or use social media--every week
MODSIM World Conference Facebook page
will showcase a new contestant and their idea. The contestant with the most "likes" will have a guaranteed spot in the finals.
MODSim World 2014 will be April 15-17 at the Hampton Roads Convention Center in Hampton, VA. MODSIM world vision - MODSIM World strives to become the premier international conference and exposition for collaboration and transfer of M&S knowledge, new research,
development and applied technology across all public and private sectors.
Find full PDF press release on SVTC website/ news
Back to top
Member News: Solutions Place to host S4 Lean Workshop for Supply Chain
March 18, 2014 8am-4:30 pm
Solutions Place/Allied Logistics of Waynesboro has an upcoming S4Lean Workshop with Live Simulation, presented by Volvo. This Supply
Chain Logistic Optimization workshop will take place at One Solutions Way, Waynesboro, VA 22980. $249 pp includes continental breakfast,lunch, course materials, and certificate of completion.
This will be an invaluable workshop and is ideal for Operations/Supply Chain Managers in addition to Financial Managersin regard to competitiveness,
profitability, and performance.
S4Lean™ is a hands-on workshop focusing on Supply Chain Logistic Optimization using a live simulation model centered on Volvo Truck's
innovative I-Shift automated mechanical transmission.Attendees can easily observe the interactions of a working supply chain from a functional perspective. The simulation itself provides a hands-on learning experience that dramatically impacts their perceptions
about the concepts of Supply Chain, Lean Enterprise, and Just-In-Time Management.S4Lean™reinforces supply chain logistics theories, concepts, and methods assisting organizations to improve their competitiveness, profitability, and performance. Attendees come
away from the workshop better prepared to understand how Lean Enterprises succeed in today's global economy.
For more information
Or use this link to register: http://www.genedge.org/workshops-events-calendar
about the event
Or use the SVTC
Back to top
>> Ready to become a member, too?
Benefits & Prices
>> How have
you benefited from participating in our activities and / or from membership? Tell us ....
Shenandoah Valley Technology Council
800 S. Main Street MSC 4901
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807